Internet Safety Resources
Lake Wales Charter School students are being taught Internet Safety Curriculum in the classroom. Students will be taught online safety curriculum at various grade levels and will have an assessment. Teachers will using a variety of resources to accomplish this, some of those resources include videos, handouts, online games, and other materials. Schools will also hold a parent’s night to present this information.
There are seven main objectives that this curriculum covers:
• Students will demonstrate safe and responsible use of social networking, web sites, chat rooms, electronic mail, bulletin boards, instant messaging, and texting on cell phones.
• Students will recognize, avoid, and report online solicitations by sexual predators.
• Students will recognize and avoid the risks of transmitting personal information on the Internet.
• Students will recognize and avoid unsolicited or deceptive online communication.
• Students will recognize and report online harassment and cyber bullying.
• Students will understand the procedures for reporting illegal online activities and communications.
• Students will understand copyright laws on written materials, photographs, music and video.
Below is a selection of some of the resources teachers are using:
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Homepage – http://www.fbi.gov/
Here you’ll find lots of information about crime and crime prevention including Internet Safety for Kids.
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children – http://www.missingkids.com/
Resources for parents & guardians, law enforcement, attorneys, and the media.
Net Nanny – http://www.netnanny.com
This software allows parents to control certain aspects of internet use for their children.
Net Smartz Workshop – http://www.netsmartz.org
Internet Safety for Parents, Educators, Law Enforcement, Kids, and Teens.
OnGuard Online –Provides practical tips from the federal government and the technology industry to help you be on guard against Internet fraud, secure your computer, and protect your personal information.
Safe Surf – www.safeflorida.net/safesurf
Keeping Florida safe from shore to digital shore. This website was developed to help educate students about the safe uses of the internet and to emphasize the need for cyber safety.
Stay Safe Online – http://www.staysafeonline.org/
Provides free and non-technical cyber security and safety resources to the public, so consumers, small businesses and educators have the know how to avoid cyber crime.
Wired Safety – http://www.wiredsafety.org/
Internet Safety for Parents, Educators, Law Enforcement, Kids, and Teens
More Safe Online Websites – http://k-12.pisd.edu/techs/tips/safetips/safetips.pdf
The PDF contains several additional website links for parents and kids.
Additional Parent Resources:
Certified Staffing Solutions – Computer Safety Guidline
Making a Difference for Kids – Make a Difference for Kids, Inc. is non-profit, organization promoting awareness and prevention of cyberbullying and suicide through education.
Stillwater Public Schools – Parent Resources